+ Student & Staff

Financial Support for University Courses

We want to make your university education as flexible and affordable as possible. We offer a number of financial support options to help you go further by staying local.

With our quality assured courses, in state of the art facilities, we aim to offer a cost-effective alternative to travelling further afield to university. At the Hugh Baird University Centre, you can achieve your university level qualification, validated by either the University of Central Lancashire or Liverpool John Moores University, on your doorstep without the additional expense and upheaval of finding accommodation elsewhere.

The Hugh Baird University Centre Bursary Gift

We are committed to helping all of our students within their first year of study to purchase course related equipment as well as help towards the cost of international trips.

All new first year full time Foundation Degree students will be allocated a Bursary Gift of up to £500. The HBUC Bursary Gift will be linked to student attendance, punctuality and achievement.

Terms and conditions apply. Click here to read the terms and conditions.

The Hugh Baird University Centre Moving On Scholarship

The College recognises the need to support disadvantaged students who may not otherwise progress to a full Honours degree. We will allocate a limited amount of awards (5) of £500 for students who have been accepted for a full time Top up year at the Hugh Baird University Centre. This will be made available via application.

To be eligible for the Hugh Baird University Centre Moving On Scholarship, a 2nd year full time student will need to fulfil the following criteria:

  • Ordinarily resident in England or European Union.
  • Must be starting their first Higher Education Top up year.
  • The student must have a declared residual household income of less than £25,000.
  • Successful interview.

Bursaries for training to teach Maths

The training bursary is a financial incentive to attract and retain new high quality graduates to become teachers in the Further Education (FE) sector. Bursary levels will vary according to the degree classification held by the trainee.

Find out more.

Tuition Fee Loans

You don’t need to pay for your tuition fees up front - Tuition Fee Loans cover university or college tuition fees and are paid direct to the university or college, by Student Finance England. They are available to all eligible students regardless of household income. The amount you pay back is dependent on how much you earn and not how much you owe and you won’t need to start paying them back until you are earning more than £21,000 per year. The chart below gives examples of the repayments. After thirty years, outstanding loan amounts are written off. Student Loans will also help to support your living costs.

For more information, visit www.gov.uk/student-finance.

Loan Repayments

You must pay back tuition fee loans and maintenance loans. You also pay interest on these. You don’t have to pay back other student finance, e.g grants and bursaries.

  • Your repayments are linked to your income. You only make repayments when your income is over £21,000 a year. Repayments are put on hold if your income drops below £21,000.
  • Part time students sometimes start making repayments while they’re still studying.
  • Each year you pay back 9% of any income over £21,000.

Maintenance Loans

  • You must be a full time UK student. Part time students, EU students and students aged 60 and over can’t apply.
  • You may have to give details of your household income.
  • The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.

For up to date figures, please visit www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants

Special Support Grant

As well as the Maintenance Loan, students can apply for a Special Support Grant. This is based on household income and does not need to be paid back. The Special Support Grant doesn't reduce the amount a student can borrow through the Maintenance Loan. If their household income is £45,000 or less, they will be eligible for the full Maintenance Loan no matter how much Special Support Grant they get. Any money awarded through the Special Support Grant won't be counted as income when working out entitlement to benefits or tax credits.

Who can get Special Support Grant?

  • A lone parent or someone who has a partner who is also a student; where one or both of them is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full time non-advanced education
  • Anyone with a disability who qualifies for the disability premium or severe disability premium
  • Anyone who is D/deaf and qualifies for Disabled Students' Allowances
  • Anyone treated as incapable of work for a continuous period of at least 28 weeks
  • Students from abroad who are entitled to an Income Support Urgent Cases Payment - because they are temporarily without funds for a period of up to six weeks
  • Students waiting to go back to a course, having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended
  • Anyone aged 60 or older

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

These allowances provide extra financial help for disabled students. They are paid on top of standard student finance packages and are not dependent on income, nor do they have to be repaid. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia.

Other Financial Support

Childcare Support

If you are a full time undergraduate student with childcare needs, you may qualify for a Childcare Grant. You may be eligible if:

  • you are a full time undergraduate student
  • You have at least one dependent child who is under 15 and in registered or approved childcare or have at least one dependent child who is under 17, is registered as having special educational needs, and in registered or approved childcare.

(Note: if you, your husband, wife or partner gets the childcare part of Working Tax Credit, you won’t be able to get a Childcare Grant as well).

The Adult Dependants’ Grant

Full time university students with an adult who depends on them financially can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £2,642. You can apply for this grant on top of any other student finance and you don’t have to pay it back.

Council Tax

Households where everyone is a full time student are exempt from paying Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption by visiting www.gov.uk. To count as a full time student, your course must:

  • last at least 1 year
  • involve at least 21 hours study per week

You will get a Council Tax bill if there is someone in your household who is not a full time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

Student Accommodation

Although we don’t have our own halls of residence, we can give you information on the local area and can signpost you to lettings agents and housing associations.

Travel Passes

There are a range of passes available that permit travel across a variety of modes including buses, trains and even ferries if required. To find out about travel concessions for students, visit www.merseytravel.gov.uk/tickets.

Student Breakfast
Every undergraduate at the Hugh Baird University Centre is entitled to a free breakfast of either porridge or toast, with orange juice, in any of the College Refectories, POD Cafe or L20 Cafe between 8am and 8.45am.

Student Finance Explained for 2017/18

For more information

Please contact our Student Services team:

£500 Bursary Gift

For new first year full time Foundation Degree students. Terms apply. Find out more.

  • Request a prospectus

Access to Higher Education
Business and Management
Chartered Management Institute Award, Certificate and Diploma in Management and Leadership
Business (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Business & Management - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Business Administration - BA (Hons) Top up
Children, Young People and Education Studies
Children, Young People and their Services - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Education and Professional Studies - BA (Hons) Top up
Computing - FdSc
Computing - BSc (Hons) Top up
BSc (Hons) Computer Studies (Foundation Year)
Contemporary Media Practice
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Contemporary Media Practice - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Contemporary Media Practice - BA (Hons) Top up
Creative Make Up Design and Practice
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Creative Make Up Design and Practice - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Criminology - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Criminology - BA (Hons) Top up
Design for Commercial Interiors
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Design for Commercial Interiors - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Design for Commercial Interiors - BA (Hons) Top up
Digital Imaging and Photography
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Digital Imaging and Photography - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Digital Imaging and Photography - BA (Hons) Top up
BEng (Hons) Engineering (Foundation Entry)
FdEng Engineering (Advanced Manufacturing)
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (Foundation Year)
BSc (Hons) Computer Studies (Foundation Year)
BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Foundation Year)
Event / Festival Management
Event and Festival Management - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Management in Events - BA (Hons) Top up
Fashion and Textiles
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Fashion and Textiles - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Fashion and Textiles - BA (Hons) Top up
Foundation Entry
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
BEng (Hons) Engineering (Foundation Entry)
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (Foundation Year)
BSc (Hons) Computer Studies (Foundation Year)
BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Foundation Year)
BSc (Hons) Health & Social Care (Foundation Entry)
Business (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Graphic Arts
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Graphic Arts - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Graphic Arts - BA (Hons) Top up
Health & Social Care
BSc (Hons) Health & Social Care (Foundation Entry)
Health & Social Care - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Dementia and Assisted Living in Health and Social Care - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Mental Health and Wellbeing - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Health and Social Care - BSc (Hons) Top up
Hospitality in the Visitor Economy - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Outdoor Adventure Studies
Outdoor Adventure Studies - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Outdoor Leadership - BA (Hons) Top up
Teaching & Education
Certificate in Education and Training, Preparatory
Certificate in Education / PGCE (Education and Training)
Certificate in Education and PGCE (Mathematics: Numeracy)
Advanced Certificate in Teaching Mathematics: Numeracy
Level 5 Diploma in Teaching English: Literacy
Visual Merchandising & Promotional Design
Design (Foundation Entry) - BA (Hons)
Visual Merchandising and Promotional Design - Foundation Degree (FdA)
Visual Merchandising & Promotional Design - BA (Hons) Top up
Benefits of studying with us
The Degree Levels We Offer
Valued by Employers
Financial Support for University courses
Support for Undergraduates
Wider Information Set (WIS)
Higher Education Review
Liverpool Life

UCAS Tariff Calculator

Find out how many points your qualifications and grades are allocated. Launch the calculator.