EU Settlement Scheme

We wanted to make all our students and their families aware of the latest information on the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) and the deadlines for applying.

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you may be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). The application deadline, for those who were living in the UK by the end of the transition period at 23:00 GMT on 31 December 2020, is 30 June 2021.

It’s important to note that children and young people require their own immigration status and are not covered by a parent’s application to the EUSS. Therefore, an application must be made for every eligible child within a family, but a parent or guardian can apply on behalf of a child and link it to their own application (if applicable), or a young person can apply in their own right. There’s lots more information on this on the Government website.

Applications to the EUSS are free and can be made online on GOV.UK. Information on what is needed to apply can also be found on GOV.UK. Successful applicants can get either settled status or pre-settled status ensuring that they can continue to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021, whilst remaining eligible to access the benefits and services they could before the UK left the EU.

If you have any questions about the application process, call 0300 123 7379 or +44 (0) 20 3080 0010 from outside the UK (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9.30am to 4.30pm). Find out about call charges.

Student finance after Brexit

If you are not normally resident in the UK, or are an EU national or non-UK national, please be aware that student finance has changed as a result of the UK leaving the EU. The links below provide information and guidance on what your options are in terms of gaining a student tuition fee loan and the steps you need to take.

Already have settled status or leave to remain? The changes may still affect your loan application, or you may need to provide extra evidence when applying, so please check the guidance for further information regarding this.

  • Studying in the UK: read guidance for EU students here
  • Read more about student finance eligibility here

Go back